I’ve collected some YouTube clips of Lindy Hop partnerships where women are leading, and men are following. Some of them are social clips, others choreographed for competitions, and still others are improvised jam-style competitions. They are all of same sex couples – I didn’t find any examples of a woman/lead male/follow partnership. A couple clips feature two same sex couples.
1. Rebecka and Emelie DecaVita in the 2009 Killer Diller Harvest Moon Competition. Their first shine starts at 3:16 and they come in again at 5:20.
2. Max Pitruzzella & Alain Wong‘s showcase for the 2008 Candadian Swing Championship.
3. Max Pitruzzella & Thomas Blacharz doing a parody of a Kevin & Carla routine. It’s way old, went viral and was probably first Lindy Hop video I ever saw online.
4. Rebecka & Emelie DecaVita’s Showcase at the 2010 Ultimate Lindy Hop Showdown.
5. Dawn Hamption, Steven Mitchell, Virginie Jensen & Frida Segerdahl at 2010 Lindy Diversion. Dawn starts leading at 1:15.
6, 7, 8. Rebecka & Emelie DecaVita in the 2010 ULHS Quarter Finals
9 and 10. Rebecka & Emelie DecaVita, and Daniel Wegan & Guiseppe Olla, competing in 2009 in the Stockholm Open. DecaVitas start at :35 and the men come in right after.
11. Carla Heiney & Kelly Arsenault, and Andy Reid & Max Pitruzzella in the 2011 Lindy Focus Invitational Jack and Jill Jam. The Carla and Kelly go out at 1:16, and at 1:30 the Andy and Max join them.
12. Carla Heiney & Kelly Arsenault in the 2011 Lindy Focus Balboa Finals.
13. Adam Lee and Voon Wei social dancing at the Frim Fram in 2010.
14. Mia Goldsmith and Andy Stockdale social dancing in New Orleans in 2008.
15. Dax Hock and Max Pitruzzella dancing in the 2009 Underground Jitterbug Championship Finals.
16: Women dancing together in the 1940s (?)
17: Many women leading and following each other in a clip from the 1939 world’s fair. Swing outs come in at around 1:35.
18. Jam at the Midwest Lindy Fest 2010. At 0:12 a woman steals in as a lead. What’s her name? At 0:28 another woman steals in as a lead. What’s her name? At 0:54 Max Pitruzella follows Carl Nelson. At 1:04, Jon Tigert gives it a try.
19. Performance at Lindy Focus X. Kevin St. Laurent and Shesha Marvin in a choreographed routine.
20. Wilhelm Novák & Guiseppe Olla in the 2011 Harlem Jack & Jill in Sweden. I think it’s notable that this is a Jack & Jill and the partners are chosen at random – so this is not a team necessarily who dance together often, nor is it choreographed.
21. Laura Glaess leading Jessica Yoon at Authentic Jazz Weekend in 2013 in Korea.
I’ll update the playlist when I find more. Did I miss one you like? Let me know!Tagged with: feminism • Lindy Hop