Knox. Wizard, father, werewolf, professor, wizengamot elder. I write about Knox at Absit Omen Harry Potter RPG. He’s one of my oldest characters, created in 2005. He’s a good guy and kind of enjoys being controversial. I’ve played him a few different times, once as a Healer, another time as the History of Magic professor, and most recently the Hogwarts Headmaster turned Wizengamot Elder. Fun new twists in his life are the discovery of a teenage son and being turned into a werewolf.
I experimented with different ways to do color. I’ve been experimenting with different techniques for awhile, trying to find a way to add that rich color I like, but still keep and love the pencil line-art.
Here’s a rundown of my Photoshop Layers, if that’s even remotely interesting.
- Adjustment Layers. Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Color Fill (50%)
- Two copies of the original scanned sketch, both set on multiply. (This is how I keep the line-art strong. The tone of the paper DOES affect the colors beneath it a little bit.)
- Flat Hair Layer + Clipping mask with all the texture and painting.
- Flat Skin Layer + Two clipping masks. One for the highlights and one for the shadows.( I guessed at the tones for the highlights and shadows, but then messed with the Brightness/Contrast and Color Balance to find just the right color. )
- Layers and clipping masks for the jacket and sash.
- Background painting
*Oh derp. I forgot. I used a bit of pale canvas texture set on Multiply on the jacket and hat.
I think the biggest thing I’ve changed about how I paint this time around was to really use the Brightness/Contrast and Color Balance adjustments instead of trying to guess at the colors I need manually.Absit Omen • Knox • my art • Role-playing